Saturday, May 06, 2006

almost over the hump

As I wrap up the second biggest base week of the year, I'm glad to say that everything is going as planned. No injuries, no feeling of burn out, and no major fatigue plagues me so far.
The first of the big workouts this week consisted of a 17 mile trail run at Hall Ranch with 1,500 feet of climbing at slightly above race pace(ugh!). I still felt some soreness 3 days later, but I guess that's expected since I'm starting to throw in some speed into the long runs these days.
Number two was a mind numbing session in the pee-pee puddle. Warmed up then did 8x500 yard reps at an easy sustainable pace for me, without slowing down throughout the workout at about 8:45 each one. I figure I don't have any speed in the water so may as well get some endurance and take it easy.
Today (Sat), I did 96 miles on the bike. Started off easy for the first hour and a half and just ate like a pig, then inserted a 56 mile (half iron) time trial in 2:17:48 and spun easy home. Did a 45min transition run afterwards and felt surpisingly good. Too good. I guess that means I should take it easy.
Well that's it for the big workouts this week. Just hope I can take another week of this stuff before my weekly volume drops a bit.
jrod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home